April Amusement, Volume VIII: March 31-April 16

March 31



Matt's first baseball game of the season.  I really love that he still plays and makes time for a sport that he's really good at, has played his entire life, and has a great group of guys on his team.  There's a core group of them who have played together for 20 years!  

Arthur begged and begged (and begged) to run the bases and couldn't wait for the game to be over so he could get out there.  And then...(wait for the end).  Hilariously overwhelmed.  


April 1

Last March, my beloved "female doctor" retired suddenly.  I mean, she was well within her rights to retire, had worked at least a few years beyond what was required, but she retired just days ahead of a needed shoulder surgery that would require a decent recovery time and made the decision a little sooner than I think she had originally planned.  My yearly appointment with her was on the Monday of her last week.  I was shocked, saddened, and gave her a long hug goodbye - wanting to ask her a million questions but not able to think of them in the moment and wanting to ask for her phone number so we could have coffee, but knowing that would sound ridiculous and inappropriate.  

I came to her in the spring of 2008 after a horrible experience with my OBGYN that past December.  Nothing major or life-shattering, just a horrific bedside manner that left me nervously crying in the lab waiting room, prompting a nurse to fetch the horrific doctor back to then say even more horrifically ill-timed things to me - but now in a waiting room around other people.  I left sobbing and called my mom, who advised me to switch doctors - and quick.  So, I asked a few of my trustworthy, slightly older friends who I figured had well-established relationships with doctors and landed on a decision to visit Dr. Herrman.  She was widely known by all Fairfax area lab workers as "Doctor Double-R Herrman."  She was beloved - I mean, when a dispatcher who is simply scheduling lab work perks up at her name...that's saying something.  

Her office was understated.  Nothing fancy but clean, in an older office park building that was just trying to truck on.  You signed in with one of those pens with a fake flower atop the cap.  There were no TVs in the waiting room, only magazines, children's books and those old plastic models of the female reproductive organs tucked in the back corner of a rickety square cargo furniture end table and a pastel table lamp.  You filled out your own "reminder postcard" while there and all they did was put a stamp on it and mail it at the appropriate time the following year so you'd call in to schedule your next appointment.  I loved that - no bogging down the system with computer spreadsheets, just a postcard filled out by yours truly, snail-mailed.  What a breath of fresh air.

But more importantly, it was how she made you feel while there.  Instead of a paper gown, Dr. Herrman HAND-SEWED all of the exam gowns.  It was a one-size-fits-all, drawstring top and drawstring skirt for the bottom, in various designs of butterflies, solid "nurse smock teal", or cats - she loved cats and every single time without fail mentioned having a cat named Angela.  She just made the whole female experience more humane.  She has two grown kids and one of them was a "band nerd".  We always talked about marching band and teaching music while I was there.  She is one of the most personable, sincere humans I've ever met - it's like being a doctor is secondary to her - being human is first priority, and it is at the forefront of her every decision.

As you waited for your exam to begin, you could read funny articles on the ceiling and signs that say "at your cervix".  Or funny cat pictures.  She'd say funny things after checking my blood pressure like, "if it were any lower you'd be dead" or "fit as a fiddle" with a hilarious smile that filled the room.  You could ask her anything because it felt so safe and comfortable.

When Matt and I had been trying to get pregnant for what seemed like approaching "worrisome long", she was right there to answer my teary-eyed questions with a wink and a smile and an assurance that we'd get through it, whatever "it" turned out to bring.  We had a miscarriage during the wee hours of a Saturday morning in October of 2015.  I had only known I was pregnant for 10 days.  I had been up all night hoping for a miracle but knowing in my gut it was so, and Matt made the phone call to her office the next morning for advice.  Ten minutes later, in the fetal position on my bed, I answered my cell phone to Dr. Herrman herself - not her advice nurse, not her office assistant reading from a script - but her, on a Saturday morning.  She asked me a few simple questions, listened to me cry, and just said repeatedly, "I'm so sorry."  Then she invited us to come in on that Monday, Columbus Day, for a squeezed in appointment.  We did, she hugged both of us tightly, and gently discussed options for next steps in a hopeful tone.  Matt, who is somewhat stoic, was even taken aback by her kindness, empathy, and warmth.  

We were fortunate just three months later to be pregnant again after a teeny intervention with some hormone boosting pills, by her suggestion after tracking some blood work I'd had done during the early stages of the last pregnancy.  I took a few pills on a series of strategic days and...success!  Arthur Cole Young!  (This was also one of those pills that doubles your chances of having twins and she was quite clear about that, but also laughed at our nervous glances with a "you'll be okay!")

  To this day, the only voicemail I have ever transferred to voice memo and then onto my Google Drive for safekeeping forever and forever:  Dr. Herrman calling on a Friday evening to tell me my hCG (pregnancy hormone) number.  It was high (good news) and she over-pronounced the word 'THOUsand' behind it, adding "it's a keeper!" in her sing-songy happy voice, then hung up.  

I've lived in northern Virginia almost 20 years - long enough to know that the Dr. Herrmans are few and far between.  Hell, you can go days around here without a kind interaction or smile from anyone, much less a funny cat story or a personal call on a weekend when it's clearly off contract time.  Dr. Herrman is a diamond in the rough, full of heart and good ol' fashioned humanity.  

Today, I went to a new gynecologist that took Dr. Herrman's patients after her retirement.  I was relieved that she was nice, easy to talk to, and the gowns were not paper.  But the office had that corporate feel, there were no cat cartoons, and no flower-capped pens or self-addressed reminder postcards.  Some voids are just hard to fill.


April 2

Today was lovely!  I got to see my friend Stephanie, who taught with me for a year a long time ago.  We met up at Amphora Diner in Herndon and then spent a few hours at Frying Pan Park at the playgrounds and seeing the animals.  Stephanie is also a gem.  She has tenacity, solid perspective, and a willingness to see all sides of things - maybe diplomatic is the right word?  I had one of those afternoons where I was repeatedly thinking, "why are we not on a weekly phone call basis?!?"  Her two kids are SO sweet, her husband also sweet, and she is equal parts hilarious and genuine.  I had such a great time and am thankful that we have kept in touch.  And Richmond is not far away so...possibilities await!  


April 3

I did it!  I got a toddler on the metro, rode 45 minutes each way, and trudged (without a stroller!) down to the Tidal Basin to see the cherry blossoms!  If I walk away from this year of toddler feeling proud of one adventure - it's this one.  I could've given up when the metro parking lot in Reston was completely full and I had to beg the lady over the intercom to let me exit the lot without paying and then park a half-mile from the station and walk (without stroller!), adding to an already long trek.  I could've given up upon arriving in the city and it being jam-packed with people and worrying about losing him or him falling into the water or some laundry list of typical toddler-in-a-large-unpredictable-crowded-situation worries.  But on we forged and it was AWESOME.  Gorgeous day, breezy, and once you got down there the crowds spread out just enough to allow for a lovely picnic and leisurely stroll along the trees.  Arthur said several of his, "we having FUN, Mama!" and "tank yoo fur the picnic, Mama!".  

This will be one of the many days I'll be jealous of next year when I'm not reliving it.  









April 4




I treated myself to the ballet.  NYC Ballet was at the Kennedy Center and I got a cheap ticket through Goldstar.  (If you don't know about Goldstar...create an account now!  Super cheap tickets to events and I've never had a bad seat - in fact, once I was third row aisle to "Cinderella" at National Theater.)  I dressed up a bit, rode the metro, sat in the first tier balcony of the opera house, and breathed in ballet for two and a half hours - blissfully alone.  It was incredible.  The program was a mixture of new works celebrating the centennial of Jerome Robbins.  They used a variety of music from Leonard Bernstein (who also just celebrated a centennial last year), as well as Chopin, and Kanye West.  The Bernstein piece at the beginning, "Easy" was choreographed by Justin Peck, resident choreographer and 2018 Tony Award winner for the revival of Carousel.  There was a little of everything - traditional ballet, quirky jazzy Westside Story style dancing, hip hop, Broadway choreography - I loved it all.  I was especially moved by the piece "In the Night", which featured three Chopin nocturnes (some of my favorite music) with three lyrical ballet couples with different personalities.  The staging was simply beautiful, the costumes gorgeous, the music perfectly performed live on a beautiful grand piano, and the dancing was breathtaking.  My right brain was so happy to be swept up in canons, call and response, form, symmetry vs. asymmetry and many other artsy appreciations I don't get to focus on every day.  The last piece, "Something to Dance About" was incredible - the entire company in Broadway costumes from nine legendary shows, a live singer, and excerpts of original choreography from Jerome Robbins most celebrated musicals - think of the most famous dances you've seen in a Broadway show and it was probably in there.  I got home too late to talk to Matt about it, and ended up trying to tell him over dinner the next evening; I was a little shocked as I began to tear up trying to explain how beautiful the whole experience was - I suppose I really needed an artsy night out.  And anything with the stamp of New York City on it just amps it up for me.  :-) 


April 5


After going to the ballet, I also didn't get to see Arthur before night-night.  This morning, the first thing he told me from his crib was, "We picked FOWLERS for you, Mama!  Dey downSTAIRS in the CUP.  Les go and I show them fur you, Mama!"  I had no idea what he was talking about (I hadn't noticed any flowers upon arriving home) but went along with it.  He pulled me by the pinky finger to the kitchen window where a cup of flowers from the yard awaited my tearful reaction.  He looked so happy that I was happy and has anyone invented that thing where you can freeze time?


April 6


After a lovely lunch with friends from Matt's baseball team, who we hadn't seen in forever, we stopped by Green Spring Gardens in Alexandria.  This picture was in the children's garden.  Lovely place!  We had a really nice Saturday - barre class, lunch with friends, garden outing, dinner outside - a lot of a little and nothing major.  


April 7


First soccer class!  This was a joy to watch!  I had no idea what to expect.  He seemed to really like it and is still talking about it.  It was basically 45 minutes of soccer skills disguised as little games like "knock down the seahorses" (yellow cones) and then "wake them back up" and "kick the rocket ship" (a little tower of cone, plus soccer ball, plus another cone on top).  Arthur participated in most of it, though a little shyly at times.  And the look of happiness on Matt's face when he was getting into it was pretty much the best thing ever.  


April 8

It's Monday.  We didn't have anything planned.  It was nice outside, so I figured it'd be a good idea to at least go to the playground.  Then we got motivated to read some books, so I thought...a BOOK PICNIC!  We could pack lunch AND books and go eat outside at the playground!  

Guess who ends up doing a lot of work to get a book picnic in motion?  The mama.  Guess who is not at all interested in sitting still to either eat or read any books once we are at the playground?  Arthur.  

The whole thing did make me laugh once I stopped sweating.  I let it go and watched him slide, run, count mulch chips, and ride his scooter around the place.  Still a better day than going to work!  


April 9

Three joys for today:

1.  Wildflowers themed class at the Nature Center with Miss Abby.  

2.  Quinoa pancakes with homemade granola and berry compote and some kind of amazing cinnamon butter.  Tuesday afternoons are my hired babysitter "mom time out" adventures, so I enjoyed a quiet meal out at First Watch before running errands.  These were probably the best pancakes I've ever had. And...quinoa!  Less guilt!  

3.  Fresh haircut!  I think it's called a lob - where the front is slightly longer than the back.  I love it, it's so far proving easier to style, it looks so much healthier, and less gray hair is always a win.


April 10

We went to see a show at Imagination Theater in Bethesda, MD called "Aquarium".  This was our second time attending a show there and I am just so impressed.  Both shows we've seen are geared for ages 0-5, you get to sit really close on the floor just outside the stage, there are invitations to be involved in and interact with the show, there are little props handed out for the kids to use to help tell the story, and the artistry is top-notch.  We both loved it.  They have weekend classes for music and drama - we may just go to one. 


April 11

Caitlin came over!  She is lovely.  We had cheese, crackers, and gourmet cookies, determined our dosha type by taking the dosha quiz (fascinating information linked to your physical and mental health) and talked about yet another personality barometer called an enneagram chart.  Caitlin always knows something new that makes me feel like I've been living under a rock (which is some ways I have), and I feel caught up after a few hours around her.  

And later, I went to a barre class where I got not one, but TWO shout-outs from the teacher.  This is a thing for me.  I'm still finding these classes to be so challenging that if I can get any encouragement about anything, I'll take it and run with it.  And this was one of my favorite teachers, so it felt a little extra special.  I've been to 19 classes since joining.  81 to go before I can sign the barre!  I suspect that will be a thing too.  


April 12


Vacation has launched!  We are in Louisville, KY after an insanely easy flight from DC and a ten-minute drive from the airport to a lovely downtown AirBnB.  I am feeling so grateful for my husband's love of travel planning and exploring and also for our little guy's flexibility and temperament.  Of the three of us, I was by far the grumpiest at getting up two hours earlier than usual to catch a flight.  As usual with trips planned by Matt, the destination was unknown until getting to the airport gate and now that we've been here for a few hours I'm remembering tons of things this area has to offer.  And doesn't our little crew look totally content and relaxed?  


April 13

Today was huge!  So, the Kentucky Derby isn't until the first weekend in May, but the Kentucky Derby Festival starts much earlier.  And today was the huge kickoff event in the festival lineup: Thunder Over Louisville.  Or, just 'Thunder' for short.  A six-hour air show featuring all kinds of military-style jets, helicopters, cargo planes, stealth bombers, and professional parachuters.  It was amazing.  And we could see the entire thing from the little balcony where we were staying, or stay indoors and watch it through the huge windows.  It felt like we were staying in some sort of VIP accommodations, but Matt swears that he just got insanely lucky with the location and that the price was not "thundered" up.  We had the best time just watching in awe as things roared past us.  




But then...fireworks.  And not just any fireworks, but the largest firework show in North America.  I thought maybe that was a hyperbole until the thing started.  Holy moly.  And it was the first time I've ever gotten to simultaneously watch fireworks while also listening to the intended soundtrack it was choreographed to.  This year's theme was Disney, so the show started with early selections like "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo" and "Whistle While You Work".  We ventured down to Waterfront Park (approximately a quarter mile from where we were staying) and though it was very crowded, it was manageable and way easier than any event I've ever been to in the DC area.  There was a big countdown to 9:30 on the dot and a solid 30 minutes of completely over-the-top visual magic consumed the entire riverbank for as far as you could see in all directions.  It was truly amazing.  (I fear our son is gonna grow up thinking that all vacations come with spectacular firework displays - Nashville for New Year's came with huge fireworks and now this, and honestly, I'm not sure we'll ever see fireworks that top this one!)




Oh, and of lesser importance I guess but still super fun - I bought a Derby hat!  It was completely spur of the moment.  I walked into a hat/shoe store that had them all in the window and I thought it might be fun to just try some on.  And then, all the estrogen kicked in and before I knew it I was trying practically all of them on and I got totally swept up in the idea of wearing a cute dress and hat and sipping a mint julep.  I decided that I couldn't do much better for a Kentucky souvenir than a derby hat - even if I have no horse race or horse race party plans.  So...no pressure but can someone host a fun Derby party?  



April 14

The Louisville Slugger Museum!  So Americana and quaint and yet chock full of information.  I learned what a billet is, among other fun facts about ash vs maple wood.  With paid admission you get a little bat - the same kind I remember having as a kid.  I didn't grow up playing sports and I don't know nearly as much as my husband on the subject, but I do appreciate the general vibe I get from baseball.  That cliche' patriotic feeling.  This museum was full of that.  




And THEN...dinner with a fellow percussion major friend!!!  And we share the same name, which has always been kind of a funny thing.  She's the other Angie.  I'm so glad I reached out via text once I knew we'd be in Louisville for a few days - you know how sometimes you have that little thought like, "they're not gonna wanna see me after all these years" or "they're too busy, I shouldn't bother them" so then you may not bother even trying?  I fought that nonsense and less than 24 hours later got to enjoy over two hours of wonderful, bubbly conversation with a lovely person and her adorable daughter.  Angie was always a bad-ass and still is!  I always admired her take charge and take no nonsense approach to everything - and her awesome combat boots that she wore proudly with formal concert attire.  Here's to more hanging out with great people!  

(I am not giving those rabbit ears.)  


April 15

Today's highlights were taking a tour of Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby Museum and our dinner outing at Royals Hot Chicken.  The museum was great and we got to walk out to the track to get a sense of how gigantic it is.  There's a lot of history, tradition, and an incredible amount of preparation that goes into a two minute horse race.  Another swell of that Americana feeling.  




We've been on a hot chicken kick since going to Nashville, where it is most famous.  Unfortunately, getting actual hot chicken in Nashville proved to be somewhat difficult - the places we scoped out were either extremely busy with a long wait (less ideal for toddlers) or closed on the day/time we were trying to go.  We sorta had it once, but knew we could do better.  So Matt found a hot chicken place in Denver last month, and now we found this place - Royals Hot Chicken - in Louisville.  This particular place was also crowded but for good reason - great food and friendly service.  And I tried a slushy with bourbon and CHEERWINE!  My husband doesn't get Cheerwine.  I cannot fathom going through childhood without Cheerwine but he somehow did it.  I'm not a huge bourbon fan, but enjoyed dabbling - especially with Cheerwine.  Though, I'd probably drink mud if it was mixed with Cheerwine so maybe that's not saying much.  

I love everything about this picture.  


April 16


Our kid seems to have zero stranger-danger.  So when the guy driving the airport cart stopped near where we were waiting at our gate, he immediately just climbed on as if this were a planned meeting about airport functionality.  The man was so friendly, luckily.  For the most part I'm glad he's not overly bashful like I was - but I can't always shake that little 2% of fear that he'll be friendly to the wrong person or at a wrong time, you know?  I guess my parental instinct will kick in during such instances and I'd sense when to intervene?  Is that a thing?  I mean, he gets away with all sorts of things because he's currently little and cute.  And it's a nice way to look at the world - wide open and as if everyone is full of good and wants you around.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 3rd

"Well, I declare!"

Summer of Healing: The Garage Door and Me