Travel Log: Lake Placid and NYC, Days 8-11

 Day 8 (August 9)

Another day, another round at Boots and Birdies.  

They've added batting cages that they just opened during the days we were in town.  Unfortunately, they're still learning how to use it so the machine only pitched at one speed - fast.  But Arthur was a good sport and tried it anyway. 


Dusk in the back yard with food I can't remember but am sure was excellent.  This was our last full day of staying around Lake Placid, so we took it very easy. 

Day 9 (August 10)

We decided to spend this day venturing out to the nearby town of Saranac Lake.  A little tradition we've forged is getting lunch from Blue Moon Cafe, a local brunch place, and taking it over to the lakeside park for a picnic.  In the park there's a small amphitheater where 3yo Arthur and 4yo Arthur enthusiastically "played show" with me - one of the many adorable memories attached to this vacation.  This little stage was where I once taught him, at length, how to take an enthusiastic bow, and we rehearsed such hit numbers as "Skinnamarink" and "Down Down Baby" - both with hand motions, of course.  

This year, he didn't want to do a show, but agreed to "just take pictures, ok Mama?" 

The big show, 2020. 




Our last moonrise by the lake before leaving tomorrow.  One of my favorite spots.  Just before this, I had a lucky universe moment.  I had decided to SUP around the lake before dinner and as I was approaching the little town square, I heard an orchestra tuning-up.  It was Wednesday night, which happens to be the night that the Lake Placid Sinfonietta performs a pops concert right by the lake in the little amphitheater that Matt and I had just visited three days ago.  I paddled up to the lake edge, wedged myself in between some rocks, and enjoyed a sunset concert in probably the most peaceful environment to date.  It's a little orchestra (maybe 30, tops) but very sincere and talented with a long history in the community and the people picnicking on the grass looked happy and it was a nice moment.  

This is a stock photo I found on the website of the LP Sinfonietta, but this gives the idea of the scene. 

Day 10 (August 11)

Sadly, this is our day to leave and start the long trek back to Virginia.  I managed to get up and pack us out early enough to enjoy a final SUP around the lake (it was in the high 50s and glorious light) before we (mostly I) grumpily left our awesome rental condo.  I get so grumpy leaving a place and I'm not fun to be around for a bit.  We played a last round of mini-golf, and then I remembered that we'd never taken a picture by one of the LP signs, so we did that as our very last thing.  I guess maybe we should've done this as our very first thing.  Eh...


Whiteface Mountain in the background.  

Because my husband is part-genius and knows they added a sixth love language to the chart called, "take your spouse to NYC at least twice a year", we stopped for one night in Weehawken, NJ - at a hotel that just happened to be steps from its water ferry that makes two stops over and over again every 20 minutes, all day: Weehawken and the intersection of 39th and 12th Ave. We've never done the city this way, as we usually go directly in and stay strategically close to an area of focus for exploring.  I have to say, this was wicked easy.  And less expensive by a mile.  The ferry ride was lovely with my second favorite view of the city approaching - my first being from the Verrazano bridge looking over the harbor from miles 1-2 of the marathon.  

Granny and Arthur weren't feeling the city buzz as much as we, so they agreed to stay back and rest at the hotel so that Matt and I could move a bit more freely.  The two of us took the ferry over and immediately walked the High Line for a bit to Chelsea, one of our favorite neighborhoods for restaurants. This is The Vessel behind me, which we haven't visited yet, but there were great views of it from the High Line. 

Part of the High Line.  This is truly great design, mixing the natural with the urban. 

ESB in the distance. 

I'm such a romantic for NYC street scenes. 


We landed here for dinner.  Pepe Giallo.  Great food and ambience.  Their motto is "No Diet Coke, No Skim Milk, No Decaf Coffee, Only Good Food"  A little long, but I like the purist vibe.  The decor was very earthy with ferns hanging from the ceiling, tall potted plants marking corners and pathways, and walls painted a stone blue.  It was very nice to just sit in a restaurant and enjoy conversation and people watching, and the Italian red blend didn't hurt.  

Ferry trip back to Weehawken.


Day 11 (August 12)

Our last morning.  Woke up to a view out our window of a few preschool classes holding onto a jump rope being led like ducklings across the street to the ferry terminal for a fun city excursion.  I know children every day are growing up in NYC but I still can't imagine calling a Friday morning field trip to the city a "normal Friday thing".  It still feels like a huge deal to me every time we enter the city by tunnel or bridge.  These kids have a cool perspective that I never had until adulthood. 


Granny and Arthur waiting to load the car.  
We're less excited about the five hour drive back to Virginia, but grateful for a fun trip! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 3rd

"Well, I declare!"

Summer of Healing: The Garage Door and Me